Monday, November 5, 2012

1st Trimester Recap

Finally the first trimester is over.  It was a rough time for me.  There is no question that being pregnant at 42 is much harder than being pregnant at 20!  I've been sick, very sick every day.  Sometimes all day long.  I've had NO energy and basically felt like death warmed over (not to mention looking worse than that)! 

We found a new doctor and love him.  His staff is wonderful!  They made me feel so welcome and not abnormally old to be having a baby.  I have to say, however on our first visit when we walked out of the doctors private office I felt like Diane Keaton in Father of the Bride II.  There were all the ladies in the office with gift bags saying congratulations.  All I could do was burst into tears (something that happens all too often lately).  The whole experience felt like a dream. 

Ok, so the doctor was cautiously optimistic with us.  The first order of business was 2 blood tests 48 hours apart to be sure my HCG levels were doubling the way they should.  That came back positive - check.  Next our first sonogram.  This just so happened to be on a day Chris would be out of town on business.  I have to say, I was more than a little nervous.  All I could think of was what if something is wrong and I'll be there by myself.  I prayed almost every second of every day until that sonogram. 

When I arrived at the doctor's office that morning I was escorted back to a room with the familiar equipment, but then the technician asked me to undress from the waist down.  This took me by surprise, I never had to undress all those years ago for a sonogram.  I refused to show my stupidity so I did as I was told and then before I knew what was going on a small probe was inserted inside me and I couldn't stifle the surprised yelp that escaped my throat.  My surprise was quickly taken over by relief and total jubilation when I saw and heard the most precious sound in the world.  My baby's heartbeat!  Our little peanut was exactly where it was suppose to be and had a strong beautiful heartbeat!

I wouldn't have normally been allowed to video tape this but the wonderful nurse in the office did it because Chris wasn't able to be there.  (Sorry the video is sideways, I couldn't figure out how to change it on the blog).

During my 1st trimester we made a trip home to Maryland.  My mom was celebrating her 70th birthday and it was wonderful to be able to be there with her and the rest of my family.  I so enjoyed being home.  It was great to do absolutely nothing and let mom and dad take care of me for a week.  Thank you mom and dad!  You're the best!

The whole gang!

The happy mom & dad to be!

After our wonderful trip it was back to reality.  Working during this time was a real challenge.  It's so hard trying to get ready for work in the morning in between throwing your guts up!  Thankfully I have a great job and an even better boss.  So, I made it through.

We had our second doctor's appointment the week after our trip and during this visit we were presented with what I knew would come our way..............................genetic testing.  Our doctor talked to us about a new test that is the equivalent to an amniocentesis without the risk.  It's a blood test that looks for all sorts of genetic abnormalities.  Given my age our doctor highly recommended it.  So off to the lab we went to have blood drawn.  Chris and I never really talked about it or what the results could mean.  I just silently and fervently prayed for 7days.  Finally, the call I had been waiting for and dreading all at the same time came.  The results were 100% negative on all counts...............................our baby is perfectly healthy!  At that very moment I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders and for the first time since that little stick said "Yes" I felt relaxed and completely happy.

I don't know why God decided to give us this amazing gift, but I'm so glad He did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment